Monday, August 2, 2010

Stranger Anxiety


The folks at the service apartment are really friendly. Everywhere we go, we're greeted with smiles and a cheery "Hello." So on our way down the elevator to wait for her schoolbus today, I had a conversation with Kayla about how we should say "Hi back" when someone says "Hi" to us. (A lady from the housecleaning crew said "Hi" as we were leaving and Kayla pretty much ignored it.)

Me: Kayla, when someone says "Hi" to you, you should say "Hi" back.
Kayla: But Mommy, I'm supposed not (sic) to talk to strangers. You said I'm not supposed to talk to strangers.
Me: But the lady was just being nice.
Kayla: But she's a stranger.

I guess at this age, they can't quite differentiate dangerous strangers from harmless ones. So perhaps it's better not to force the issue and let her be the indifferent, unfriendly preschooler on the block than turn her into a social butterfly and put her at risk. Agreed?

Oops. Time to pick up her!

0 comments on "Stranger Anxiety"

 

Little Miss Hongs Copyright 2009 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipietoon | Sponsored by Blogger Template Gallery